Monday, August 03, 2009

To My Glorious Fan Base...

First, I want to apologize for my stunning year-long unannounced leave of absence. You see, I have this disease called “residency” and it sucks up the vast majority of my “time”. If that was not enough, I also did this thing last year called “fellowship applications” that sucked up the most of my remaining time. The sliver left over was devoted to (in no particular order): watching the Lakers journey towards another championship while trying not to urinate all over myself every time something bad happened along the way, sleeping, gorging myself on a bean-and-cheese-black-bean-extra-pico-de-gallo-extra-crispy burrito from Baja Fresh (I have no ties to Baja Fresh, I just am strangely addicted to those burritos), engaging in meaningful intoxicated conversation with random people on the street, or on the pooper. As you can tell, this left (and still leaves) little or no time to do what I truly enjoy doing: making idiotic observations about my life and career as a physician-in-training on this blog.

Sadly, this is not the first time I’ve had to explain inability to entertain the masses, and it is not the first time I’ve attributed this inability to being completely overwhelmed in every other aspect of my life. However, it is not just that because something really strange happened over the last year: I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Granted, this tunnel has another four years to it when you count fellowship and all, but I finally feel like I have waded through enough crap to see the goal on the other side of that hypothetical mountain of poop (that’s three poop references so far in case you’re counting). And because of this feeling, I no longer have the same yearning to rehash my repeated frustrations with this field by finding increasingly awkward (and occasionally forced) ways of making fun of it. After all, there’s only so many ways to depict a drunk homeless dude pissing on your scrubs in the middle of a crowded emergency room at 2:00 AM before you stop thinking that that is a strange experience in the first place and it stops becoming as original.

As such, while I can’t say that I’ve lost my desire to write about my experiences – in fact, I’ve been able to publish here and there and broaden my technique in other venues under other names – I don’t know how much more irony-induced maniacal fury I have to direct towards my field…

…Or so I thought. Fortunately, providence has once again reared her beautiful, poop-smeared face and provided me with inspiration from a rather odd corner of life that I generally find extremely tedious and wholly uninteresting. So, as a pause from my usual (or every nine months) medical school and residency commentary, I invite you to join me in a social experiment, and I hope that you find it entertaining and maybe a little enlightening – dissecting the proposed health care reform from the perspective of a neurotic young physician who will spend his entire career in the depths of this reform. I’ll be at Ah Yes, Health Policy (getting a little old, eh?) for the foreseeable future, but will try to write here…when I have some time. Poop poop poop.

Sincerely,

The Fake Doctor

10 Comments:

Blogger isyaNIA said...

oh my gosh.. ur back!!!!
happy to know that u r still alive.haha

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Mayhem said...

Dude, I never thought you'd make it back. I mean, I always hoped but...wow, welcome back.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Dragonfly said...

yay.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Zac said...

It's a good thing we have google reader :) See you at the new digs.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Old MD Girl said...

I hope the fellowship you're applying to has the initials RWJ in it....

2:10 PM  
Blogger gabbiana said...

Woo!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Dr. Alex said...

I just came across your blog via a share on my Google Reader and love it. I'm a follower now too! :-)

11:25 AM  
Blogger 2cool2care said...

YOUR BACK!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

it's ok. I stopped reading you for a year, too. so I didn't even notice you were gone. but welcome back! you are a fantastic writer and I can't wait to read more.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Holy shiitake mushrooms! You're back in action! My life has meaning again.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home