Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Final Jeopardy

(Please note that any identifying information about the case described here has been changed to respect the privacy of all involved)

Let me just get this out in the beginning, because as much as it hurts to write this, it will hurt more the longer I wait: a patient I admitted broke a window in her hospital room and jumped out, plummeting five stories to her death.

I’m going to let that sit there for a moment while I digest it.

Now, suicide is unfortunately a relatively common problem, but what is likely much rarer is suicide done within the confines of a hospital. And it hurts. Real bad. But what hurts more is that, in retrospect, I cannot think of anything in that individual’s hospital course that could have changed what happened. Let me explain:

I was actually at a Costco, bargaining with the cell-phone people about switching to a new phone at around 2 PM, when I was paged by my boss, informing me that my services were needed at our county hospital. As one of four “jeopardy” residents, I am spending this month perpetually on-call, required to fill in at a moment’s notice for sick or absent residents, or when there are an overflow of admissions that require a warm body to assess them. On this day I was being called in because the primary team was full at an early hour and there were patients waiting to be admitted in the emergency room.

When I arrived at the hospital, I was immediately handed the admission pager and the names of two patients who needed admission. While catching up with those, I was called about a young woman in her 30s who needed to come in after being diagnosed with alcohol-related liver disease. Upon meeting her one hour later, she quickly explained the circumstances of his current state. A chronic alcoholic, she descended further into abuse after losing her job months ago – we’re talking pints and pints of the hard stuff daily. She was a classic “medical student” case, ripe with physical exam findings to demonstrate the characteristics of liver disease. This, however, was hardly interesting to any seasoned medicine resident.

What was so fascinating about this patient was that, in talking with her about her disease and alcohol abuse, she seemed so genuinely interested in quitting. For herself, for her health, for her family. For life. In fact, upon signing this patient out to the resident who would inherit her the following morning, I vividly recall saying “You know, among the hundreds of alcoholics I’ve admitted over the last two years, this lady may actually be the one person who might listen to us and quit.”

A striking statement, if only for its baseless irony. Looking back, I wonder whether the realization of her damaging addiction was too much to handle. Or whether the sudden cessation of alcohol, combined with the shocking settings of a poorly-funded county hospital, was too much for this brain to handle. Or any number of other issues below the surface that we just were unable to uncover before the end. Then I think of more practical things: why was the window break-able, why was there no gate, and why didn’t the other person in the room scream for attention while there was still time? Why didn’t I pick up on this earlier?

Why didn’t I pick up on this at all?

Excuses, but there is no blame here.

I know that none of that would have affected the outcome. I can only hope that I can learn from this experience, never discounting the torture that may be occurring inside a patient’s mind.

It is truly a cruel lesson.

7 Comments:

Blogger AddysonReese said...

I'm sorry that happened. Truly a tragic thing.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your back! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

1:16 PM  
Blogger Pre-Med said...

I am so ridiculously excited you are writing again. I spend an entire night a couple months ago reading your ah yes, medical school blog. (Sad I know) Im just starting medical school this year and I am finding your experiences to be completely true and disheartening at times because its true. Keep writing!!!!!!!!!

7:36 PM  
Blogger The Tudor Rose said...

If virtual hugs from someone you totally don't know aren't too weird and creepy, then...

(((((Fake Doctor)))))

Take care of yourself, too, eh?

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Qex said...

I'm sorry about your patient - it does hurt, and make you second guess yourself. However, remember that the patient is the one with the disease; there is only so much we can anticipate, without wrapping everyone up in restraints, 'just in case'.

2:31 PM  
Blogger genderist said...

Damn. What an awful day.

I'm reminded of a quote: Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning and loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Suzanna said...

I don't even know what to say... I'm sorry. I hope you get passed this soon.

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home